One of my favorite things about being in the nutrition business is that I get to try nutritious foods before they hit the market. I am so excited about a nutrient-dense treat that hits the market TODAY: Setton Farms’ blueberry-flavored Pistachio Chewy Bites. And I am going to GIVE AWAY three bags of them to one lucky reader! Keep reading to find out what you have to do to be a contender for this awesome prize!
First of all, let me get it straight about what it means for a treat to be nutrient-dense and then I will tell about how yummy these treats are, how they qualify as nutrient-dense, and I will also give you some scenarios where it would be PERFECT for you to have these treats on hand.
Nutrient-dense foods are food choices that are loaded with nutrients but relatively low in calories, saturated fat, and trans fat. It’s often difficult to find nutrient-dense snacks. Virtually all fruit and veggies would be considered nutrient-dense as would raw nuts and seeds.
But what about packaged food? Sometimes you just crave a candy bar, right?
When examining a nutrition label, some markers of a good, nutrient-dense selection in my opinion are: less than 250 calories per serving, less than 4 grams of saturated fat, at least 5 grams of unsaturated fat (these fats are GOOD for you), at least 3 grams of fiber, and at least 4 grams of protein.
I can’t think of a candy bar that qualifies as nutrient-dense, but Setton Farms’ brand-new blueberry-flavored Pistachio Chewy Bites are the perfect alternative. They’re so sweet and yummy. Made with pistachios, blueberry-infused dried cranberries, maple brown-rice syrup, and coconut, you cannot go wrong with this treat. And here are some markers of their nutrient density!
Each serving (2 chewy bites) has:
- 200 calories
- ZERO trans fats
- Only 2 grams of saturated fat
- 9 grams of unsaturated fat
- 4 grams of fiber
- 5 grams of protein
Here are some scenarios where these treats would be great to have on hand:
- Great to have in your desk drawer at work for that 3:00 dip in energy.
- Keep them in your purse for when you are out and about longer than planned and need something to hold you over before your next meal.
- Attention athletes! These are the perfect fueling snack and can also work effectively as a recovery snack!
- Got kiddos? These are a great choice to add to their lunches! My girls even asked for them for dessert one night!
- These are also perfect to pass around as an appetizer at a dinner party!
In the comments below, by Friday June 9 at 8:00 PM EST, tell me why YOU would love to try these tasty snacks for a chance to win three bags (9 servings) of Setton Farms’ blueberry-flavored Pistachio Chew Bites. I will announce the winner over the weekend!