I wrote about MyPlate in my last blog. To give you a basic overview, each meal you eat should include five food groups: whole grains, lean protein, vegetables, low-fat dairy, and fruit. This Chicken-Broccoli-Rice-Bake is a one-pot meal that has all food groups, but fruit. Have a small bowl of berries with dark chocolate drizzled over it for dessert and you have one heck of a meal!
- 5 cups of water
- 5 cups of brown rice
- 3 chicken breasts chopped in small cubes
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 can of lite coconut milk
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 cup of low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt divided
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Ground pepper to taste
- Combine the rice, ½ teaspoon of sea salt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 3 cups of water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce to a simmer for 30-35 minutes. You can do this quicker with a rice cooker or instant pot!
- 15 minutes prior to the rice finishing, add chicken to a deep pan or Dutch oven, and pan fry for 10-15 minutes over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. If the chicken or mushrooms are sticking, add a couple tablespoons of water.
- 5 minutes before rice is finished:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Add remaining ½ cup of water to a pot with a steamer basket. Bring to a boil. Place broccoli in basket, cover and steam for 3 minutes.
- When rice is finished, mix in pan with chicken mushrooms.
- Toss in broccoli.
- Mix in coconut milk, remaining sea salt. Italian seasoning, and cheese.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and add ground pepper to taste.
- Bake for 15 minutes.