Yes! You read that title right. In my last blog entry, I wrote about how healthy dates are. And this week in my kitchen I was experimenting and found a way to use them to make healthy rice crispy treats! These tasty little treats are free of refined sugar (yep, no marshmallows-dates instead!).and they’re loaded with fiber–thanks to the dates and almond butter! This recipe requires only five ingredients and you can make them in just 15 minutes. The best part about them is they are kid-approved!
Here’s the recipe! Give it a try!
- 1 cup of packed pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups of rice crispies
- Process the first four ingredients in a food processor until it forms a paste (don’t worry-it’s not too sticky)
- Move the paste into a bowl and pour 2 cups of rice crispies into the bowl and knead with your hands until well combined.
- Add the other two cups and do the same thing.
- Mold the mixture into an 8 by 8 pan lined with parchment and pat down.
- Cut into squares and your’re done!
- You can store these at room temperature in an air-tight container for one week.