My busy schedule doesn’t allow much time for baking, but I do love making sweet treats for my friends and family. Shhhh…little do they know that these sweet treats are actually healthy. Here are some tricks that I use:
- I always replace sour cream with Greek yogurt. This cuts down the calories big-time; it’s especially delicious in coffee cake!
- Replace oil with applesauce. For every 1 cup f oil the recipe calls for, use ¾ cups of applesauce. Make sure you use unsweetened apple sauce!
- Decrease the sugar, increase the spice! I always decrease the sugar in holiday recipes and increase the cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg. Works like a charm to create amazing without being intolerably sweet!
- If you insist on very sweet treats, at least use natural sugars like maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey.
- Use whole wheat flour instead of white flour. Whole wheat flour doesn’t go through the crazy refining flour that white flour does; white flour is bleached too…ewwww! Whole wheat has more fiber and more nutrients.
- Or try gluten-free flours. Many people are discovering that they can’t tolerate gluten so well so try some gluten-free whole grain flours like brown rice flour, millet flour or gluten-free oat flour.
- Add nutrient-dense foods. I sometimes sneak in some ground flaxseeds or chia seeds to boost the healthy fat, fiber, and protein content of baked goods.
- Use lower fat dairy products. I always use 2% milk instead of whole milk in my baking or “light” cream cheese instead of full-fat cheese and the difference isn’t even noticeable.
- Baked banana-based cookies or muffins. Bananas are so nutritious and so sweet. I call them the “cake of fruit.” Most recipes that call for banana tend to be at least semi-healthy. If the recipe calls for unhealthy additional ingredients, use some of the hacks I described above.
- Last, but definitely not least, if you do not have time for healthy baking and aren’t so precise with measuring, try a healthy mix. I recently fell in love with Among Friends Baking Mixes. Their cookie and brownie mixes are to-die for. Best of all, they’re healthy and are made with whole grains. There are several gluten-free mixes you can try too.
I hope these hacks help you.
I close this blog with a giveaway! There are several ways you can get entries to win an Among Friends Baking holiday baking kit that we have put together.
The kit contains:
- Darcy’s Delish Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Alec’s Awesomely Fudgy Brownie Mix
- Among Friends apron
- Among Friends coupons galore
Here are the ways you can enter the giveaway.
- Comment on this blog with your favorite holiday baking tip for two entries to the giveaway.
- Like the giveaway on Facebook for one entry.
- Share the giveaway on Facebook for one entry.
- Comment on the giveaway on Facebook for one entry.
- Retweet the giveaway for one entry.
- Like the giveaway on Instagram for one entry.
All of these entries must be submitted by noon on Friday December 16. The winner will be announced later that evening!